President Obama requested that the Oval Office be decorated with American-made products. The Grand Rapid, Michigan based Scott Group Custom Carpets made the 20-by-30 Oval Office Rug for the occasion. The Group, which was founded in 1969, makes high-end luxury carpets for customers all over the world, including President Clinton’s Oval Office rug.
The rug’s design features the presidential seal in a center medallion and a border decorated with quotes hand-picked by the president. The rug is in very warm, soothing colors: wheat, cream, and blue. There are 13 clouds above the eagle. There are 13 bands that are in the actual shield on the eagle, 13 leaves in the olive branch and then the 13 arrows that are in the talon of the eagle. The eagle is facing towards the olive branch, which is a sign that we are a peaceful nation.
There was a team of 30 craftsmen who put their hands on this product and put 570 hours into producing this rug. It reflects what is done here in America by great craftsmen making great products right here in the United States.
It is made of 100 percent wool, sourced from England and New Zealand. It has 48 individual yarn colors, including some un-dyed natural wool. The Oval Office Rug is made from 25 percent recycled wool.
President Obama selected the following five historical quotes for the rug:
1. “The Only Thing We Have to Fear is Fear Itself,” President Franklin D. Roosevelt
2. “The Arc of the Moral Universe is Long, But it Bends Towards Justice,” Martin Luther King Jr.
3. “Government of the People, By the People, For the People,” President Abraham Lincoln
4. “No Problem of Human Destiny is Beyond Human Beings,” President John F. Kennedy
5. “The Welfare of Each of Us is Dependent Fundamentally Upon the Welfare of All of Us,” President Theodore Roosevelt